A Memoir by Lisa Vaughn


Lisa was conservatively raised in a Catholic family in no-where middle America, where excitement is scarce and dreams are for sleeping. Little did she know, at age thirteen, she would suddenly find herself on a totally different path.

Through an unlikely chance meeting of a fellow classmate, she's surprisingly mesmerized, almost consumed, to befriend a girl who is obviously from the other side of the tracks...the cool side. Lisa does whatever she has to just to be accepted into this small club of coolness. Little did she realize, she was signing up for a lot more than social status. The two best friends find themselves innocently taking their relationship to a foreign level neither had experienced or saw coming.

A rollercoaster ride littered with choices and challenges Lisa never fathomed facing, especially in no-where middle America. She will find out what she is made of as she faces the consequences and struggles that come along with going against the grain.

Throughout their six year relationship, you will witness a touching story of human nature at its best...and at its worst. Showing just how far the human spirit can be challenged and pushed to a point where your “fight or flight” instincts naturally kick in. Struggling just to survive in a world where you are not like everyone else, but at the same time you really are. The daily struggles - both internal and external - are exhausting, yet necessary in their quest for one simple human need....love.

Finally breaking through all constraints that hold them back, reaching levels of one-ness that few actually obtain in a lifetime with their partner...only to find once they've reached that special place, it's not quite the right fit...for one of them, at least.

This contemporary story, told in the voice of the teen that lived it, will lead the reader through highs and lows, giving insight to the everyday challenges of the socially unaccepted, which will no doubt leave them rooting for the underdog. A true story of human resilience and the power of love...plain and simple.

*Please be advised, this memoir is real, honest, and raw. If you're looking for your typical 'sterilized' read, I'm not your girl - but if you're looking for a read that is written from the heart, certain to impact you on a human level, follow me! Have I got a story for you!

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Has The World Truly Gone Mad?

You know, normally I'm a 'glass half full' kinda gal, but lately, I swear this world in which we live has been pushing me, and I feel my glass slowly tipping!  
And apparently, I'm not the only one.  
My family, friends - even people I chat with on twitter and facebook - are experiencing the same BS it seems.  I know times are tough, believe me - my husband has been unemployed for over a year from construction - but really people, how far is this craziness going to go?  Has this world gone mad?  Do people, like cows, simply GO mad?

What craziness do I speak of, you ask?  
Seems in just this year alone I have personally experienced and/or witnessed many negative human actions: theft and  vandalism, people taking advantage of me - or my family - clearly for monetary reasons, lying, cheating, kick em while their down attitudes...just plain old disregard for fellow human beings with a 'take-all-you-can-get-regardless-of-who-you-hurt-in-the-process' approach.  Where did basic conscience go? Does no one feel guilt anymore? Has everyone lost morals and scruples simply because times are tough and the economy is in the toilet? Apparently some have. 
Frankly I'm so sick of this behavior I'm on the verge of liquidating my life as I know it and going into seclusion from society - living in the wilderness like a crazy mountain woman or something! (And I think I truly would IF I could still get internet access - as I can still deal with virtual people! ha)  

What IS going on? 

I know life ebbs and flows - and I've pretty much been flowing nicely since I simplified my life, living it authentically - and all would be peachy if I could stay within my cocoon of pureness that I've created - but alas, that is only a fantasy, as it seems society and I DO have to cross paths on occasion, and that usually means someone dragging me into unwanted drama of some sort - there is only so much of life you can control, I realize, and I do my best to keep drama and negativity out of my world, but boy, is it getting harder and harder!  
Seems the 'good guy' truly does finish last in this day and age.  My only recourse is to continue believing in karma, and that what goes around comes around...I surely hope it does...I HAVE to believe it does, or it would be almost impossible to face some recent days. 

You know, I used to balk at blogs, not understanding who would want to write one or read others - and look at me now.  Freedom of speech IS a beautiful thing, isn't it? At least we still have THAT! (for now anyways) An awesome way to connect and to vent. Thank you for allowing me to spew my emotions - if I couldn't I just might explode!  I promise the clouds will lift eventually and I won't be such a 'Debbie-Downer', but for now I have to go with what I live and what I know...
Ok, back to the fight!  I will not give up, I will NOT give up - good guys HAVE to win in the end!  We just have to. 

Again, thank you for stopping by and bending an ear! :)

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that. Yes, I know it may seem like at time everyone is out to get you, and that morality no longer exists in our society, but I still choose to believe that the lowlives and pond scum are the minority, and that if given the opportunity, most people would be all too willing to help rather than to hinder.

    I bet you'll start feeling better about society once the Christmas bug bites! For someone who doesn't celebrate it, it even does it for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep your positive attitude intact, Lisa! I completely understand what you mean, and was a victim of just such abuse by a very nasty individual yesterday. I'm an optimist by nature and I also believe that what goes around, comes around...but it has been very difficult in the past year or two to overlook the behavior of some of our fellow human beings. We just have to keep in mind that we can control our own attitudes and behavior and how we react to others, but we can't control them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, gosh, Lisa, we've gone through much of this the past year as well! One truly wonders. But then I have to look at all the devastating disasters world-wide and all the dead and displaced people...then it doesn't seem so bad. Yet. There's always a tornado around the corner! Well, we'll just have to cope like everyone else if that happens! Yeah, Karma is a beautiful thing to behold when a deserving offender gets theirs! Good write, my friend!! Keep up the fight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never, ever give up. You are too high-spirited and courageous. I love that about you!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews