A Memoir by Lisa Vaughn


Lisa was conservatively raised in a Catholic family in no-where middle America, where excitement is scarce and dreams are for sleeping. Little did she know, at age thirteen, she would suddenly find herself on a totally different path.

Through an unlikely chance meeting of a fellow classmate, she's surprisingly mesmerized, almost consumed, to befriend a girl who is obviously from the other side of the tracks...the cool side. Lisa does whatever she has to just to be accepted into this small club of coolness. Little did she realize, she was signing up for a lot more than social status. The two best friends find themselves innocently taking their relationship to a foreign level neither had experienced or saw coming.

A rollercoaster ride littered with choices and challenges Lisa never fathomed facing, especially in no-where middle America. She will find out what she is made of as she faces the consequences and struggles that come along with going against the grain.

Throughout their six year relationship, you will witness a touching story of human nature at its best...and at its worst. Showing just how far the human spirit can be challenged and pushed to a point where your “fight or flight” instincts naturally kick in. Struggling just to survive in a world where you are not like everyone else, but at the same time you really are. The daily struggles - both internal and external - are exhausting, yet necessary in their quest for one simple human need....love.

Finally breaking through all constraints that hold them back, reaching levels of one-ness that few actually obtain in a lifetime with their partner...only to find once they've reached that special place, it's not quite the right fit...for one of them, at least.

This contemporary story, told in the voice of the teen that lived it, will lead the reader through highs and lows, giving insight to the everyday challenges of the socially unaccepted, which will no doubt leave them rooting for the underdog. A true story of human resilience and the power of love...plain and simple.

*Please be advised, this memoir is real, honest, and raw. If you're looking for your typical 'sterilized' read, I'm not your girl - but if you're looking for a read that is written from the heart, certain to impact you on a human level, follow me! Have I got a story for you!

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Anne Wallace's 5star Review of The Gifted Ones! Read Here...

As posted on Goodreads July 25,2011

Hi y'all Anne here and I've just finished reading The Gifted Ones by Lisa Vaughn. First off I wanna say I've never read a memoir before and now I wonder why I haven't because it was awe inspiring. To get a peek into someones private life is truly a gift.
I loved this book, I felt a sense of truth in it that must have been not only scary but painful to write. Sharing a part of your life is hard enough but sharing those kinds of secrets even in today's society can make people talk. Lisa has weaved a story of true and pure love, when you truly love someone you don't get to pick the form it comes in you just take the love and run and that's exactly what Lisa did. In the generation she grew up in she was treated harshly and poorly for her open mindedness. This open mindedness I find truly great, I felt connected to this theory as I've always thought you love who you love no questions asked. Her story is one for future generations to read and learn from. It doesn't matter who you are or how you were raised you are who you are to the core.
The "unicorn" only comes around for the purest of hearts I feel like I've seen that unicorn and now I know someone else who has as well. Lisa has turned me to a genre of writing I only hope that other memoirs I will read are as eloquently written as hers, four letter words and all. That's what made me love this book, she let it all out the words, drugs, feelings, hurt, loss, and eventual growth. Everyone has a story but it takes a truly special person to share hers with the world and I thank her for letting me into that world.
I highly recommend this book to anyone who has doubts about their feelings. Look at this piece of Lisa and tell me you'll question loves intentions. If you love a good read and a heartfelt story of love, honor, loyalty, and fun this is a book for you. 5 out of 5 stars for Lisa Vaughn and her moving book The Gifted Ones....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews